Happy Thursday! Welcome back to another Sims 4 speed build blog. This week I’m featuring a fixer-upper type house to compliment the Handiness Base Game Starter Home from last week. Links to the custom content can be found at the bottom of the blog.
This build will be in two parts, because it was almost 30 minutes long when it was in one. Plus, the blog got to be really long. So I’ll make sure to come back and add links for Part 2. I hate it when there are two parts to a video and one of the parts can’t be found. It won’t go down like that here.
See the Speed Build Here:
A Few Notes on the Exterior:
The general look of the exterior is partially inspired by my grandma’s house. Specifically the one she was born in. It’s located in a town that I spent a ton of time in growing up. My grandparents bought a cottage very close to town and we would visit several times a summer. It was one of my favorite places. She was one of my favorite people. And when my aunt shared the picture, I was so happy to see a little piece of her again. To get a new piece.
So, I made this house to try to encapsulate the general tone of her birthplace. It’s a farmhouse, but the fields are all sold off. A family lived here, though. Parents raised a family together, through thick and thin. Their kids left, but they didn’t change much around the house. It was more fun to spend the money on vacations with their grandkids.
After the parents died, the house sat empty for some time while their kids tried to deal with all of the estate stuff. The old, terribly dated house fell into disrepair. Finally, they decided to sell it.
The yard is overgrown. Vines cling to the back of the house. Grass grows tall everywhere. There are all these lovely bushes that need rescuing from weeds.
I added the weathered siding and missing handrails to show that the house would need repairs as well.
The Interior, First Floor:
The inside is meant to be a tribute to a work in progress that stalled out decades ago. (This part is not inspired by my grandparents). I found a lot of completely rad cc for the walls.
This wallpaper was my favorite.
That wood stove is also a fave. It’s in the game so I use it all the time.
The kitchen and dining room are my favorite part of this house. I can see a lot of practicality in this room.
It also reminds me of a house we saw several years ago when we were looking for our first place. It was this huge, old house with super high ceilings, but the kitchen literally hadn’t been updated since the early 20th century. There were these impossibly old appliances that would never have worked for our needs as a family. So, we had to pass on the house, but I’ll never forget it.
Old houses with always hold a place in my heart. They are where people’s lives happened. They are shaped by us.
Anyway, back to the story behind the build.
The living room has this striped carpet that goes really well with the newspapers covering the walls. (And a mouse hole). I put buoys over the Shabby Chic couch in a little nod to my beloved state of Maine.
There are cracks in the brick wall behind the wood stove. Somehow, the middle of the wall became super dark, I’m not sure what happened there. In the video you’ll see I tried several times to light it up, but nothing really worked the way I wanted. I ended up leaving it because it fits with the vibe of the room really well.
I envisioned this being a house that is being sold AS IS. There’s been some staging done around the house, but only with the few random objects still left behind. Likely the furniture (junk mail included) will convey with the sale.
Can you tell that I’m studying to go into real estate? Lol! I mean, this is actually just how my mind works, so it’s makes sense to lean into that.
The goal in the bathroom was the word: dingy. I decided that dingy could mean three things. Dirty, dated, and poorly lit. So, I strove to achieve that in here, though in the end I couldn’t resist putting in a bright ass light.
But the vines covering the window is a nice touch.
Part 2 Coming Soon:
The next video will cover the second floor with all the bedrooms and the second bathroom. I’ll put all the screenshots at the end of that one instead of this one. The full CC list will be on both blogs, though. I’m not going through effort of splitting that up. Seasons is coming up for the Sims 4 in a couple of weeks, so be prepared for the update to mess up your custom content. At least, that’s what I’ve been hearing. I’ve got some pre-recorded speed builds, so hopefully that will see us through while the content creators are laboring to fix everything.
Custom Content Links:
- Shabby Chic Used Living Room: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1258693
- Old Cabin Wall Set: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1337877
- Screaming Retro (dining room): http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1353137
- BuffSumm Retro Office: ttp://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1326864
- Kardofe Retro Dining: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1385890
- Retro Carpet Set of 15: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1325393
- Baking With Love Wallpapers: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1291185
- Buff Summ Victoria Build Set (windows and doors: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1305770
- Dirty Brick Wall: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1375368
- Tatschu Walls: http://simfileshare.net/folder/13328/
- Rustic Wood Floors: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1374014
- Tatschu Shabby Chic Wood Floors: http://tatschu.tumblr.com/post/172175503952/hi-guys-new-wood-floor-for-your-sims-shabby
- Art Studio: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1382182
- Craft Room: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1400520
- Craft room part 2: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1401244
- Rustic Dreams: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1304576
- Keep it Simple: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1370691
- Peacemaker IC Mid Century Abode: http://peacemaker-ic.tumblr.com/post/158811170265/mid-century-abode-bedroom-addon-for-ts4-it-was
- Collector Bedroom: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1317414
- Lulu Vintage Laundry: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1397509
- Tatschu Rugs: http://simfileshare.net/folder/13330/
- Xyra Ubai Set Study: http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1354333
- Tatschu Rustic Kitchen: http://tatschu.tumblr.com/post/170278669842/michelleabstuff-sims-4-rustic-kitchen-10-new